The Performer

The Performer
Arty

Audre Lorde

I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We've been taught that silence would save us, but it won't.

 

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why another woman I could love

I stared down my heart,
On the four corners,
I could not understand,
Why another woman I could love,

I prodded my mind,
To seek the answers,
Why another woman I could love,
Against nature, against norms?
Yet, my heart beat with excitement,
The same way, when I got my first love letter

From Almond, many years gone by
I have drunk from the two wells,
Not an iota of difference,
Yet, the well I have chosen,
With peace I can't draw water,

The preacher has branded it a curse,
The lawyer calls it a forbidden fruit,
Yet, I when I look at the other well,
There are happy times, there are tears,
Heart breaks and lover's tiff,

The same components,
That characterize,
The water I draw from my well.

K8's O

No comments:

Post a Comment