The Performer

The Performer
Arty

Audre Lorde

I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We've been taught that silence would save us, but it won't.

 

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I am drowning

On the thin straws I clutch,
With faith I hope to wade through the wave,
I had seen the signs, to keep off the banks,
I ignored the warning,
I had crossed that river before,
But this time, it was different,

The waves come on strong,
The harder they beat me, the stronger I clutch,
Now, I am beginning to drown,
The straw am clutching on,
Too weak to withstand the gushing wave,

Help, help, help, I yell,
My voice to shaky and my body trembling,
No a soul however, to hear my distress call,
On the banks, they stand,
Cheering as the waves grow wild,

Their cheers grow louder, am now drowning,
They who we laughed together,
Long to hear my last gasp for breath,
Now, I can’t breath, my hands too weak
Weary of clutching at the straw,
That I hoped would keep me above the water,

It’s long gone and lost in the raging waters,
A silent four word prayer I whisper,
God please help me,
Save me from drowning,
I am drowning, I am drowning.

K8's O

No comments:

Post a Comment